It sounds like a great idea on paper—to be your most authentic self at all times. Revealing exactly how you really feel, never holding anything back—the truth is that it takes a lot of work.
I've struggled with this for a long time. In fact, it's something that I've been thinking about for years. And after years of doing self-work, I have realized that being your most authentic self is an ongoing journey, not a destination.
It's learning to be honest with yourself and others. It's knowing who you are and learning to love who you are.
Being authentic means letting go of the little things that don't matter — like what other people think of you — so that you can focus on the things that do: being true to yourself.
- Learn how to accept compliments with grace and gratitude.
- Don't let anyone tell you who or what you should be. Only you can decide that for yourself.
- Stop saying "sorry" all the time — it's okay for things not always go as planned or not be perfect all the time.
- Be willing to make mistakes — they're part of life, and learning from them will be some of life's most important lessons.
- Honesty over people pleasing— even if they don't like what they hear at first, they'll appreciate you more for being honest with them.
So if you're wondering where to start, as you may have already discovered, being authentic isn't as easy as it sounds...My advice would be to first uncover what authenticity means for you and then reflect on what makes you feel most alive in life.
And while it took years of therapy and self-reflection before I finally understood, there are no right or wrong answers to these questions— just honest ones.
It may feel uncomfortable initially, but being honest with yourself and others will help you become more confident in your skin.
I know I'm not alone in feeling like I'm on a journey to become my most authentic self. I'm constantly learning and growing and would love to hear from you in the comments--how do you define your authenticity?
If you love what you're reading, follow along with us by subscribing, and be sure to check out our IG: https://www.instagram.com/bebigheaded/
Your besties @BeBigHeaded